The common thing that all power companies need in order to stay in business is…you guessed it, electricity. Distributing electricity requires a complex process. Electricity is distributed through the electric power grid using a complex network of power plants, high voltage transmission lines, substations, and transformers. Here’s a brief overview of how the electricity distribution process works so that power companies can power your home and your life.
Power Companies use a complex process to delivery power to homes
- Power Generation: Electricity is generated at power plants, which can be fueled by a variety of sources. These sources include coal, natural gas, nuclear, hydro, wind, and solar power. (Learn more about the power of renewable energy and its distribution).
- High Voltage Transmission: Once the electricity is generated, it is sent to high voltage transmission lines, which transport it over long distances to substations.
- Substations: Substations are used to regulate the voltage of the electricity. Substations transform the high voltage from the transmission lines to a lower voltage that can be used by homes.
- Distribution Lines: From the substations, the electricity is sent out on distribution lines. Distribution lines are often mounted on poles or buried underground. These lines carry the electricity to local transformers, which further reduce the voltage to a level that can be used in your homes. (This is why you experience a loss of power when someone crashes into a transformer- sometimes loss of electricity isn’t your power companies fault, or yours).
- Customer Connection: The final step in the electricity distribution process is the connection to individual homes and businesses. The electricity enters the building through a service panel. The electricity is further regulated by fuses or circuit breakers before being distributed to electrical outlets and appliances.
How Power Companies Monitor the Flow of Electricity
Throughout this process, the electricity is constantly monitored and controlled to ensure that it is being distributed safely and efficiently. Power companies use sophisticated software and equipment to manage the flow of electricity. This software also allows your power company to respond quickly to any outages or other issues that may arise.
Overall, the electric power grid is a complex system that allows us to generate and distribute electricity. With this system we are able to meet the needs of homes in Texas. Lucky for you, how electricity is brought to your home isn’t something that you need to worry about. Your power company (hopefully that is Pogo Energy) will make sure that you have a constant supply of electricity distributed to your home so your life doesn’t miss a beat.
To keep your energy usage down in order to keep the cost of electricity low, you may want to take some time to review some of our tips to reduce how much money you spend on electricity.